Friday, August 17, 2012

Happy Days


Aug 21, 2008

        I had my bags packed up, my bed rolled up, got dressed up in formals for the first time and the car in which I came was about to enter through the large gate. It was the entrance to Sri Sairam Engineering College, the place where I am going to spend my next 4 years. The place, where I will be trained up and come out of it as a well trained Engineer. The security at the gates asked me to get down and head towards the main ‘A’ block while my parents were asked to keep my things at the hostel. I moved on towards the ‘A’ block where at the entrance were the NCC cadets directing freshers to different blocks. I didn’t even have the slightest thought that in future I too would be standing here wearing the uniform and directing then freshers. Any way I asked the way to the 1st year IT class room and they directed me towards it. I casually climbed the stairs and reached the 2nd floor. On the way I found Aravind, one of my other classmates later. We spoke and reached the classroom. It was already occupied with people in it and we collected our Fresher ID card and found a place. The Induction went on well and every parent left their son/daughter at hostel and they too went away.

1st Year

       Initially we were not allowed to talk to any of the seniors since it was a part of anti-ragging rule. But one night a few of the seniors called me and asked me to visit their room by 11 pm. I went and for some 10 min I was ragged and I too did all the stuffs which asked me to do. I could have gone and complained it to the management but I didn’t because my entire cousins had advised me that make friendship with your seniors. You will need their help always. As said they became my most close friends than those guys in the freshers. They were the Mechanical department seniors with whom I still have contact and I am much close than my department seniors. Though I was bit sad at studying at that college time went on so soon and it was almost the end of the year. There were 4 best teachers during that year, they were
              1)      Mrs. Parvatham – Engineering Maths-I 
              2)      Mrs. Geetha – Technical English 
              3)      Mr. Ayyadurai – Engineering Chemistry 
              4)      Mr. Elanchezian – Engineering Graphics

2nd Year
   
         A sense of new power came within us. One was due to that we were now seniors and the other was that we had entered into the control of the department. The department of Information Technology was considered the best at our college and I was lucky for it. Slowly we started enjoying all the department activities, started getting close with everyone in the class, started coming late to class every day. Actually we were not allowed to talk with girls in the campus and so what we do is pass small bits of paper writing message in it. It would be fun each and every day. Slowly I started liking my college.

3rd Year

        We IT-A were the hot topic of each and every staff in the department. Every teacher coming to our class would try to change us but instead they change and never return back the next semester to our class. Slowly we a gang of 8 members started attending symposiums held at various colleges in Chennai. Our team “I-Square” was formed under the leadership of Mr. Sabari Rangan, Assistant Software Engineer, TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICE and Mr. Rukesh, Software Engineer, HCL Technologies. Concentrating mainly on Ad-Zap and Dumb-C and winning cash awards summing more than Rs.10,000 we were the talk of the event at most college. Such was our teams performance. It was then I realized that how gifted am I to study at such a nice institution providing every facility needed by us, yet we used to complain it. I had visited colleges much better than mine and worst than mine where you don’t even find a proper washroom facility. Such would be the condition and yet students are studying there.

4th Year

        Entering final year automatically the entire focus of the department was on us. Getting the highest number of placements, achieving gold medal were all the targets on us. The department even conferred upon us the role of guiding and being a role model for our juniors. Placement came, almost 95% from my batch were placed up in the first few companies itself. Days rolled off and suddenly and it was the last day of college. We were all exchanging slam books, bidding wishes, promising to be in touch ever, etc. As I stepped out for the last time, the thought of the first day when I entered were so fresh in my mind that it was like it happened yesterday. Time had gone so fast unknowing to us, adding lot of beautiful memories to be cherished every time we think of it. I felt very happy and lucky for studying at Sairam Engg College.

Main Block


No comments:

Post a Comment

Seasonz Chapter 2 – The Yesteryear (Part 2)

  The link to the previous part is as follows: Seasonz Chapter 2 – The Yesteryear (Part 1)   Returning to our journey on Jalandhar, ...