Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Seasonz Chapter 2 – The Yesteryear (Part 2)

 

The link to the previous part is as follows:

Seasonz Chapter 2 – The Yesteryear (Part 1)

 

Returning to our journey on Jalandhar, the big day was arriving, and I was eagerly counting it since that would mark my first flight journey. It will be a memorable event in the book of Raghav’s history.

Hmmm…sounds little funny though when reading right! But not for him.

Fine, so our goods were packed and shipped a week early through a logistic company since it would take a week or more to deliver it, as the road trip from south to north was quite far and the road infrastructure was challenging in those days.

The flight to New Delhi from Chennai was due in 2 days’ time. We had planned to leave for Chennai the following night and stay there at my cousin’s place from where we shall proceed further with our journey. The only sad thing that I had when departing out of Coimbatore was not able to play with my pet dog, Jacky, anymore.

The next morning, we had reached Chennai and it was a pleasant sunny morning. Way in the 90’s, the city witnessed low population density comparing to this day and it was much more fun then. Reaching my cousin’s home, I had a nice time enjoying with them while the elders were into some serious discussion, which hardly bothered us kids.  

Finally, the great day had arrived.

My uncle had booked a cab to take us all to the airport. I had never been to the airport before and was totally clueless about how it looked like. The drive was a short one from their home and as we entered the Kamaraj Domestic Terminal of the Chennai Airport, I was awestruck. I never imagined that I would be so captivated about it and my excitement knew no bounds.

De-boarding from the vehicle and getting hold of our luggage, my parents bid farewell to all those who came to see-off us while I was much focused on the activities taking place around me. Not just once or twice but many a time I would have made a complete 360-degree rotation to capture every single frame of the place.

The scene was totally lively and engaging with people rushing in all directions madly, trolley’s extra loaded with luggage, flight status being announced on a continuous roll, gorgeous ladies of hour-glass structure draped in sleek uniformed attire and with the apt complexion to suit their profession, commanders and first officers in black and white attire walking majestically making onlookers turn towards them and finally the cops, looking out suspiciously at everyone.

My relatives bid adieu to us and we headed towards the check-in counters. With every step taken, my excitement curve just went upward. Once done with all the procedures, we were waiting at the departure lounge for our aircraft to arrive. Back in the 90’s the Indian aviation was not well developed as of now, and it was the era of private carriers just stepping into the market. Two private airlines, Jet Airways and Air Sahara, had started operation along with the existing center owned Indian Airlines. As we were officially moving to a different state, the travel desk had made our reservation through Indian Airlines.

I still remember the heavy ticket booklet that used to be issued back in the olden days, unlike now wherein everything is encompassed within the 5” display of your mobile phones. With the advancement of technology, things seem to be simpler these days.

The giant Boeing 737 was parked at one of the remote stands and the aircraft was shining from the first rays of the day, and I could clearly see it from the gates, as back then the air connectivity was not so improved and very few flights used to visit the airport. We were finally shuttled to the aircraft and I was about to board the first flight of my life.

 

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seasonz Chapter 2 – The Yesteryear (Part 2)

  The link to the previous part is as follows: Seasonz Chapter 2 – The Yesteryear (Part 1)   Returning to our journey on Jalandhar, ...