Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Rise Of The Dusk - Part 3

Once outside the lab, as the ladies walked back to the parking, Natasha’s mind still hovered over the final words of Windy. Christi, why does the killer dump the body in the woods when he/she had other better option? Well, to answer that question a plethora of reasons can be brought in Natz. Yes Christi but the killer might be aware of the fact that cops would start searching the victim’s body once she is reported missing, but placing the body in the vicinity of the murder irks me every time I think of it. As she heard Natz say it out, Christina’s face flushed with elation. Natasha, it clearly narrows down to the point that the killer was well aware of the fact that someone will report her missing and he/she could make a clean chit out of the city before the pieces are put into place. If that is the case then it should be someone close to the victim or someone from her close circle who had known knowledge to her routine. You are right, so our killer could be someone who knew Leena very well. If that is the case then we know who it might be, Greg (cried both the ladies in unison). It is better we head back to the precinct and you ring Jade to give him a heads up on the find and to set up a high alert tracker on Greg’s movement. We need to track him down very soon before he gets under the blanket and vanishes. But wait, there is something that we missed it out here. Or actually I had missed it out with you. What is it Christi (Natz gave a puzzled look)? Actually when I was out at the Manhattan College enquiring about the victim, I was informed that very lately Leena had rented out an apartment, very close to the college, with a girl named Adara, also from the same college though into a different major. And here she is someone who also knew Leena, in and out. Hmm!! it’s very strange that we never laid an eye upon her roommate so far. So why don’t we surprise her roommate and find our luck with any possible trace. Running through the streets of upper Manhattan to reach the neighborhood of Riverdale, the car finally parked outside a grand apartment in a posh village. Christi heads out to the security to know where the girls stayed while Natasha was observing the apartment and the society around it. Right from the lawn to the attic it was sparkling, giving an upper middle class touch. Minutes later Christi walks towards Natasha. Natz, they live on the second floor and the guard claims that Adara has not left her house right from morning. Well let’s hear it out from her. Hey Christi would you ever rent such an apartment if you were still pursuing your degree? I mean look at this place. Everything gives you an elegant feel and how do these girls manage their rent and bills. We even found a clean sheet of Leena’s financials but what about Adara? Well may be Leena would have covered upon Adara too as they were roommates. As a matter of fact Leena’s father is a real estate baron and that should answer to her clean financials and renting such a place. Christina (in a furious tone)!!! Why do you surprise me every time? You never mentioned anything about her family back at the precinct. Well to answer that Natz, I was actually checking on her background and her family’s business. As I was probing into any potential threat that the family ever had or so, I was summoned by you to join in for a fun ride down to the lab (having an awkward face while saying out the last word). So in the rush I would have missed it up.

 Chill out Christi (Giving a sarcastic smile) come on let’s find out from Adara as to what kept her all day at home and not even coming forward to report her friend’s missing? The house was loaded with antiques and which matched the richness of the society. It gave a clear impression that Leena’s father was silk-stocking. Right from the moment she opened the door, there was not much that Adara spoke off. She remained silent and was staring at a picture of Leena in the wall opposite to her. Natasha approached to solace her and brought her to the living room. Adara, I understand the pain that you encounter and the fact that it is hard to digest such a sudden loss. However unless you speak up, we will not be able to catch the person who was responsible for her death. So tell me, did Leena had any trouble with anyone. Like was she into any relationship or did she ever receive any kind of threats, anything that you recollect off? No detective, during her first year she was all alone and had a close circle of friends. However later in the second year she met this guy called Greg and was very happy being in a relationship with him. She was a lot happier only after he came into her life. And she had never complained of any threats so far. She used to be a silent person at the college and mostly sticks to her work. She hardly had a social life apart from meeting Greg. Ok, so in the last few days did Leena show signs of abnormal behavior? No, nothing like that. Apart from the incident that happened two weeks ago, she never had a monotonous face. Can you elaborate on the incident? (In a puzzled tone) Well, there was this guy, Naobi, who kept approaching her most of the time at the college. At first he just hung up everywhere Leena went but later he even started showing up at the apartment, couple of times. I just figured out that she was having a tough time handling this guy and so she confronted him from disturbing her by filing Restraining Order couple of times, which aggravated him heavily. In fury he mentioned of going any extreme just to get her, just as how psychopaths act. I ignored the incident thinking that he was just speaking out of fury then, but today she is really gone far away from me (Tears start rolling down Adara’s face). Calm down Adara and can you tell me where you were yesterday between 9 and 11 pm? Uh!! (Struggling to find words), I was up to the Central park to meet my friend over there. Oh that’s Ok and why did not you lodge a complaint with the cops since Leena had not turned up all the day? Well, it is routine with her. What do you mean routine? Every time Leena heads up meeting Greg, she spends the night with him at his place and turns up very late to the college. Likewise even yesterday she was off to meet Greg at a restaurant somewhere downtown and that is why I did not bother much to make a complain since she did not turn up by morning. I was in my lab, when the news hit my ears finally. I could not stay there anymore and so returned home early. Fine, don’t worry, we shall nab the suspect very soon. And I believe someone would alibi on your visit to the park too. Meanwhile stay in the city until the case is closed. Hey Christina, it’s time to leave. Christi comes out of Leena’s room and gives a small nod beckoning nothing found which Natz understood and they head out.

 As dusk was fast approaching, the streets of Riverdale pose a calm yet alluring look. The detectives were now out of the apartment and onto the streets. Wow!!! A new face of New York to be cherished for the next couple of month’s right (Exclaimed Christi)? Natz, if you can spare some time now, shall we take a walk before we hit the precinct? Yeah sure we can and they both headed in the pavement as it took them across the beautifully lined villas and apartments. Natasha, do you believe in Adara’s statement? If you ask me, seriously I had a bad feeling right from the moment I stepped into that house. Well unless her alibi turns up against her, we cannot lay hands upon her charging for a murder. So until then we do not have any clue as to who killed her roommate. And Christi, I could hardly frame a motive for her to kill Leena. How about digging into her records Natz? We might hit a hole, if we are lucky. Ha ha!!! Your suspicion turns deadly these days Christi, chill out buddy (Giving a small smile at her) we shall soon grab the suspect. How couldn’t I Natasha!!! As you know I am a tough detective with a sturdy look and therefore I should suspect anyone who cross the line, am not I? (In a rugged tone). Natasha gave out a hefty laugh, well enough to shiver the birds in their nests, onto Christi’s statement. I assure you that we shall nab the suspect very soon, Christina. So now just shift your mind off the case and enjoy the beauty around you. And to answer your doltish question, yes you are a tough cop. No one messes with you my darling (Laughing out loudly once more). Natz, you are crazy. An hour later, the ladies were busy jotting down the points from Adara’s statement on to the murder board at the precinct and Jade turns up there. Any hits from Adara’s statement, Natasha? Yes, she claims Leena having trouble with a kid from the college. I want you to track him down and produce him here ASAP before he frisks out from our radar. So once he turns up, we can proceed based on his report. And not to forget is the statement from Greg, who is also under suspicion, is very important to move the pieces to the next block. Therefore unless these two guys doesn’t show up, we might not know the motive behind this poor girl’s death (Pointing a finger at Leena photo) or our killer, which leaves us back to square 1. Well if that is the point Natz, then I believe there is nothing much to work upon now and which means we can head home straight. Yes Jade, we shall wrap up and hey you guys joining me for a drink? Actually Natz, we have other plans, well you know what we mean (said Jade & Christi in unison). Oh yes!! Not a problem, just carry on. I can manage on my own. Meet you tomorrow people. She bid good bye, went to her desk, picked her coat and headed towards the elevator. Though Natasha was successful in her profession, she was not quite fortunate with her personal life. Over the time, off the college, she hardly ran into any serious relationship for the sole reason that it might drift her off the work. Also she had to admit that she was not too good at romance, which once had a serious effect on her once at the college. So she never bothered staying single after that. However this day, she felt odd since both her best friends were out on their date while she had nothing to do.

Next morning the Precinct was slowly filling up with officials and uniforms. However one corner of it witnessed a vigorous activity, well ahead of the schedule. It was Natasha, instructing her colleagues on the task that she had entrusted upon them with while she was busy going through the system trying to narrow down the motive for the murder. As Christina entered the office, she was startled a little to see her friend in a serious mood. Taking a cup of coffee from the coffee maker, she headed straight towards Natasha’s desk. Hey Natz, Good Morning!!! Is there something that I, but before she could complete the sentence she was bombarded with activities for the day. Sensing the situation, she just placed the coffee on her desk and moved to her desk to work on the items listed for the day. As hours flew by, the precinct was bustling with activities, when Jade brought in a guy of African nationality straight into the interrogation room while signaling Natasha on the way. Natz senses who it might be and so she pulls the file from her desk and heads to the room. Mr. Naobi, uniforms came in searching for you yesterday night at your apartment. Where were you and why did you try to buck up today with one of our detectives? Naobi spoke in a swift that Natasha could hardly catch a word. Excuse me Mr. Naobi, I cannot understand what you just told. Slow down and reduce the rate of your speech so that I can get your statement. Ok, I feared that uniforms will come looking up for me and i will be locked up for our act. And as expected this guy of yours turned up morning at my doorstep. I panicked on seeing him and that is why I resisted his arrest. So you feared that you would be arrested for the murder of Leena, am I right? What!!! Did I hear it wrong? Murder of who? Natasha, brings out a photo of Leena and places it in front of him. This girl Leena, whom you murdered. Whoa. Whoa, I did not do anything and who could commit such a horrible act to her. I mean I never intend to hurt her anytime in my life. How could you frame me for killing her detective? I am innocent and only after you showed me this pic, I did know about her death. Calm down Naobi, you confessed of committing a crime and now you act as if you are innocent. Do you expect me to believe it? Detective you got me wrong. Yes, I did say I committed a crime but it was never a murdered. So what does that mean by “I committed”? Ok, here it is detective. A week back, I along with few of my country men, put up graffiti (anti government slogans) on the Yankee Stadium wall, the venue for the presidential election campaign, which really irked the cops and the congressmen. We were sure of not getting caught but one of our men was cornered two days ago by NYPD and since then we knew they will on our toes anytime. So we went hiding uptown and only this morning I came home just to pick up few of my stuffs, when the detective cuffed me up. Oh!!! So you say these 2 days you were out of the city. Well if your alibi turns out true then maybe there are chances of me believing to your well framed story. However until then I don’t have any idea of letting you out as I have strong evidence against you for having the motive to kill the victim. Detective please you have to believe me. I did not kill her and I would never commit such a sin, especially to her. If you claim to not hurt her then why did you menace her of killing, couple of times, outside her apartment? Look detective I shall tell you everything but you have got to believe me first. Fine, let us hear what you have now. I was on a student exchange program with the college pursuing my studies in Psychology. As you can see I am a Jamaican nationality, the initial days at the campus were confronting especially because of my race. Though anti-racism law was in force at the college, we still faced the discrimination at most places. And that is when Leena, who was into peace studies came into my help as she was lending her help to most of my kind (Hope you get what I mean). Eventually we became good friends, which later blossomed into a kind of infatuation towards her. So I thought of expressing my feeling towards her, only to find her in a relationship already with a guy. I just backed off and distanced myself from her, wishing her a happy life every time that we met. And during one of the weekends, when I was out at one of restaurants in the downtown, I saw the same guy with few other girls, who were mostly hookers, only to find out later that he was a pimp. I confronted and threatened him to stay away from Leena but he hardly listened to me. So I thought it would be best to warn Leena and so I went to meet her at the apartment. But only after I reached there I came to know that the guy had already rang her and turned the story up on me. Since Leena was so blind in her relationship, she refused to speak a word to me and she slammed the door right over my face. Frustrated, I yelled at her “I would rather kill you than letting you live with him”. But it was just out of love and not vengeance, as I could not see her life getting ruined. After that incident I tried meeting her couple of times at the college, but she would just turn me down. She blocked my number and even went ahead filling a Restraining Order against me. So I decided it would be the best to stay away from her. Since then I had no clue about her whereabouts. Trust me detective please (pleading on his knee). Control your emotions Mr. Naobi, I cannot guarantee anything until your alibi turns true. Meanwhile can you help us identify her boyfriend? You can sit with a sketch artist. Yes sure I can detective. How will I forget this son of a b****!!! I can identify him anywhere. And Naobi tell me if you have seen this guy before or does he look familiar (Picking out Greg’s photo from the file)? Bingo. Detective, I believe there is no need for sketching the man. You have him right under your eyes already (pointing his finger towards Greg’s photo). Catch this bastard before he lays his hand upon other innocent girls. Natasha gives a stern look at Greg’s photo and signals Jade to take Naobi out as she heads out of the room with the file.

She returns to her desk and checks in the system for the list of criminal charges filed against Greg. But Natz was still unclear about the motive for the murder. As she googles her way through the system’s result, she notices Christina in a serious discussion with an aged couple. Initially she did not care much about them until she saw the lady’s face. It was a close resemblance to the picture of the girl on the board, who was murdered a day back. Hmm, so this must be Leena’s parent Mrs. & Mr. Dickens (Natasha’s mind voice). She stood up just as to speak with them but only to sit back because she knew, though less experienced Christi was passionate about her job and always excelled in her feat. So she would definitely take care of the situation and at the same time extract even the tiniest details from the Dickens. As Natasha was deep in thought, Jade sat across the desk observing her. Is something bothering you Natz? No, nothing it is just that I was delighted by the way our Christi is progressing with each new case turning up. Yes, she does and I have got something for you too here. Have a look at this. Natasha examined the content of the file and placed it aside. Why hasn’t he turned up yet, Jade? Check with the units if they had a hold on him. Saying so Natasha picks up her phone, looks for a number in the directory and dials it up right in. On the final ring the person at the other end answers. The call doesn’t last long and she slams the receiver down in agony. Chill out Natz, let me get you some coffee. And so Jade clears his ass off from her desk while she still seems unconvinced by the way the case is progressing. The murder board still does not connect the dots leading to Leena’s death. Minutes would not have passed as she gazed at the board when Jade approached her. Yo check this out. Uniforms have brought in Greg.

...to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seasonz Chapter 2 – The Yesteryear (Part 2)

  The link to the previous part is as follows: Seasonz Chapter 2 – The Yesteryear (Part 1)   Returning to our journey on Jalandhar, ...