Friday, May 13, 2016

Sitting by her side; first and the last.


The semester was closing in and each corner of the hostel was bustling with student activities. Everyday witnessed a different scenario as each exams unfolded. Too many emotions were expressed. A few had their paper highly challenging; while few had an easy go. Over and all it was an active atmosphere round the clock. Days rolled on and it was the final exam day. A sense of relief was about to hit us, not because the exams were wrapping up, but that we had a weeklong vacation to cherish about. And it was even more to relish for the hostellers, as we would be returning home after a long time.

Three long hours of pain staking exam and then we were all free. The first ray of smile and joy were to be seen on almost every hosteller’s face. I quickly rushed to the hostel just in time to pack my bags and head out, as I had a different itinerary ahead. Once reaching the bus terminus, I bid adieu to my buddies and was looking out for that one person, who had asked to me meet there.

Walking almost the length and breadth of the bus station, I could nowhere find her. Then suddenly I heard my name being called aloud, just loud enough to make all passerby turn their heads. I turned around along with them only to find her standing at one of the shops, at a distance.

“Deepak, over here” came in Payal’s voice again, waving her hand signaling me.

I moved my lazy ass towards her and as I closed in I saw Mithi too, standing close to her. Payal and Mithi were my classmates. More than Payal, it was with Mithi with whom I shared a great bond of friendship. During most of the lab session, Mithi and I used to be in the same group as our names came one after the other on the roll. So over the days we grew closer and almost shared everything.  

But with Payal, it was a different kind of interest that I had. She was good looking, modern and well yes she had crush on me right from the first year. I liked her too but neither of us had plans of getting into a serious relationship then and we hardly spoke to each other, be it at the college or elsewhere.

Actually it was Payal’s idea to meet that day. I closed upon them and we started chatting instantly. It was mostly Mithi and I who spoke the most, while Payal remind silent listening to all the crap that we spoke. Very slowly the bus that we were waiting for turned up at the station and we boarded it, just in case to find the best seats. Mithi took the window, Payal in the middle and I at the aisle. That was the first time that Payal and I were sitting so close. She was both shy and excited to sit close to me, which i found it clearly reflecting in her stunning eyes.

Minutes later the bus drove off into downtown and all through the way we had fun. All three of us had the best time of our life as we never had such a time at college, especially with all the rules around you. However the fortune did not last long. Half way down the journey, I had to change place as I had to offer the seat to an old women who was struggling with the heavy crowd. Looking me standing lonely Mithi too stood up from her seat and joined me. She was always there to support me, however many a time I had let her down, even during her most important moments, to which I had regretted a lot.

Getting down at our stop, we were greeted by one of Payal’s close friend. Introducing herself casually, she took us all to a nearby restaurant where we had decided to meet initially, as per the plan. Getting to the restaurant, Payal and her friend were having their own time while Mithi and I were left out with nothing but to just stare at each other. Then and there we spoke of about the usual college stuffs while the other 2 girls were having their time off. Occasionally they used to look at us, gave a weird smile while still conversing.

It was very clear from their facial expression that they were making fun of us. Time was ticking away and I was bored of staying there further, so was Mithi. Finally to break the silence I told the other two  girls about leaving, but then Payal’s friend pitched in.

“Why don’t we have something before we leave”? What do you say Deepak, still with a weak smile on her face?

I was getting furious with each minute passing off, yet did not have it get reflected on my face. “Yeah, we shall. I prefer something light and so I will go with a shake. You people order the ones that you prefer”.

The waiter brought in our order after some time and I totally lost my mind is speaking with Payal. I was fully busy speaking with Mithi as she gave a nice company to me. The girls witnessed my displeasure and they slowly brought down their speech. Payal did try once or twice to grab my attention towards her so that I start talking with her. But I purposely avoided her and was more comfortable with Mithi. The girls quickly whispered amidst themselves and spoke out.
“It was nice meeting you all”, said Payal friend to which I gave a weak smile as if I didn’t care WTF was she doing there. Minutes later we stepped out of the restaurant. I just waved at Payal, and took Mithi with me as we were to take the same bus back home. Payal was completely taken back with my sudden firm act and I was sure that she might pull up a fight for this. But who the fuck cares as I had already made up my mind that it won’t work between us. Without even turning back I just went ahead pulling Mithi along with me, who was completely unaware of my actions and ignoring Payal's repeated call. That meet was the first and last between us, though Payal tried to come up with many later, I had already moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seasonz Chapter 2 – The Yesteryear (Part 2)

  The link to the previous part is as follows: Seasonz Chapter 2 – The Yesteryear (Part 1)   Returning to our journey on Jalandhar, ...